Welcome to Massachusetts - Boston/Cambridge
Boston: Revolutionary sites, food & shopping, music, family fun
Boston and neighboring Cambridge are among the world’s great cities. Boston is admired for its beautiful harbor, museums, food, Revolutionary history, and sports traditions, including the beloved Red Sox baseball team. Cambridge is college life, music, and theater. Tourism attractions are plentiful.
History & Culture
Boston is the cradle of the American Revolution, and sites from early American history are visible all around; a great way to see them and the city itself is by walking the 3-mile
Freedom Trail, which winds among tight, Colonial-era street. Not far from the city are Lexington and Concord, where the American Revolution was born with the “shot heard ’round the world.”
Visitors who love art can immerse themselves in the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and the Institute of Contemporary Art. The Museum of Science is a favorite for kids and adults. Boston’s famous universities like Harvard, Boston College, and Berklee College of Music operate museums and host performing artists of all kinds. Cambridge brims with university-centered entertainment.
Where to Stay
Boston’s hotels offer luxury accommodations that rival any city in the world. Hotels welcome guests of every description from all parts of the world. Some favorite luxury lodgings include Boston Harbor Hotel, a Forbes Five-Star lodging overlooking the waterfront; the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel, a symbol of Boston's rich history since 1912 and close to Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and boutiques of Newbury Street; and Omni Parker House. Boutique hotels like Fifteen Beacon and the Lenox Hotel are a delightful way to stay in an intimate, European-like environment with soothing and historic charm. And it's easy to find family friendly lodgings for your family vacation.
The Boston Public Garden and Boston Common are the descendants of the city’s Colonial-era community pasture. Both of them, the heart of the city, are places to walk and watch the city life in all seasons. This also is true of the Emerald Necklace and the Rose Kennedy Greenway, a string of city parks that extends five miles through city neighborhoods. Also in America’s Walking City, visitors enjoy the Esplanade, a green space along the Charles River where a famous concert and fireworks happen every Fourth of July. Ferries from the harborfront depart for the short trip Boston Harbor Islands, a nature retreat right in the city’s harbor.
Shopping and Dining
Shopping in the city is great fun at several hot spots, like Newberry Street, Prudential Center, Copley Place, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and Quincy Market, where you’ll find scores of food kiosks. Don’t miss a trip to Harvard Square in Cambridge, next to Boston, to see the august Harvard University and browse the Harvard Coop, a shopping haven. There’s no way to fully describe Boston’s extensive dining scene, offering traditional, ethnic, and new food. People who love Italian food (and Italian surroundings) should plan at meal at the North End, Boston’s charming Little Italy.
Families and Kids
Activities for children can be found everywhere. Start with the Boston Children’s Museum, the Franklin Park Zoo, the Museum of Science, and the USS Constitution Museum, the New England Aquarium and Boston Duck Tours (a part-land, part-river tour in an amphibious vehicle). The Boston Tea Party Ship & Museum are educational and fun. Boston is such a walkable and interesting city, kids will enjoy simply walking some of the parks, trails and neighborhoods and looking around.
- Picasso: Encounters Exhibit - Williamstown, MA
- Tuesday Tea & Talks at Ventfort Hall - Lenox, MA
- Lowell Summer Music Series 2017 - Lowell, MA
- The Amazing World of Dr. Seuss - Springfield, MA
- Bands on the Beach 2017 - Salisbury, MA
- Boat Tours to Bakers Island Lighthouse - Salem, MA
- Summer Music Series at Maudslay Arts Center - Newburyport, MA
- Brimfield Antique Flea Markets 2017 - Brimfield, MA
- The Z -- Boston Zipline - Boston, MA
- Tango in the Park - Boston, MA
- Edward Albee's “At Home at the Zoo (Zoo story)” - Stockbridge, MA
- Animals in Berkshire Botanical Garden - Stockbridge, MA
- Salem Jazz and Soul Festival 2017 - Salem, MA
- “A Legendary Romance” - Williamstown, MA
- “Actually” - Williamstown, MA
- Naumkeag at Night Summer Concerts 2017 - Stockbridge, MA
- Summer Fridays at the Institute for Contemporary Art - Boston, MA
- Brazen Belles Summer Striptacular - Cotuit, MA
- Gutless and Grateful with Amy Oestreicher - Newburyport, MA
- Solar Eclipse Viewing with Boston children's Museum - Boston, MA
- Stockbridge Summer Arts & Crafts Show - Stockbridge, MA
- "Peter Pan & Wendy" - Harwich, MA
- "Company" - Pittsfield, MA
- “SeaWife” - Nantucket, MA
- Blues N Brews 2017 - Westford, MA
- Farm Dinner at Weir River Farm - Hingham, MA