Originally erected in Dummerston, Vermont, in 1874, the former Taft Bridge was dismantled, moved, and re-erected on the grounds of Old Sturbridge Village in 1952, where it crosses the Quinebaug River. It is a fine example of a single-web, single-chord, wooden-lattice truss. This patented 1820 design by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town was popular across the country throughout the 19th century. Length of 55 feet.
Gilbertville (Ware) Bridge
Bridge Street, off State Route 32Gilbertville, MA, 01031Phone:
The Gilbertville Bridge, built in 1886, cross the Ware River. It uses a heftier version of the Town lattice truss, using doubled chord members to increase the stiffness of the lattice trusses. Length of 137 feet.
Pumping Station Bridge
Eunice Williams DriveGreenfield, MA, 01301Phone:
Location: From the rotary in Greenfield, take Route 2 West to the first light and go right onto Colrain Road. Just past Nash’s Mill Road, the road forks. Bear left onto Green River Road. The next right is Eunice Williams Drive. Follow Eunice Williams Driv
The Green River Pumping Station Covered Bridge, built in 1972, crosses the Green River north of Greenfield. The bridge is currently closed to vehicular traffic. The bridge is the second covered bridge at this location, replacing a bridge built in 1870 and destroyed by rson in 1969. The bridge’s very deep eaves that shelter a sidewalk on the northerly side give the structure a distinctive profile. One-span Howe truss; 95 feet long. Parking is available on either side of the bridge.