Welcome to Massachusetts - Berkshires/Pioneer Valley/Mohawk Trail
Berkshires: Sophisticated towns; music, theater, outdoor fun
The western part of Massachusetts is known at the Berkshires region, for its north-south Berkshire Mountains range, and also by its historic identities as the Pioneer Valley and the Mohawk Trail. It is a place of sophisticated small towns and college towns, great performance art and fine museums, outdoor sports in the mountains and state parks, and a vigorous antique-trading community.
Music, Performance, Art
Cultural life of the Berkshires is rich. Tanglewood, in Lenox, is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It welcomes world-class musicians and performers. The Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center in Great Barrington is a year-round cultural center. The Jacobs Pillow dance festival is held yearly in Becket. Stockbridge is home to the popular Norman Rockwell Museum, with original Norman Rockwell art and seasonal events. In North Adams, the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA) charms visitors with visual and performing arts.
Where to Stay
With its natural beauty and lots of cultural happenings, the Berkshires region is a natural for couples ready to enjoy a romantic getaway. At the same time, family friendly lodgings like Berkshire Fairfield Inn & Suites and Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort, which make is easy for families to get their fill of outdoor sports like hiking and skiing, along with the region’s many festivals and wonderful dining and shopping. Area resorts, like Cranwell and Ponds at Foxhollow, place you in the lap of luxury, with golf, spas, and white-glove service.
Families & Children
The city of Springfield has plenty of activity for families. The Springfield Museum complex includes art, history, and science museums along with the Dr. Seuss sculpture garden, honoring this native son’s beloved characters. Sports fans enjoy the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The Zoo in Forest Park in Springfield has lot of ways to meet exotic animals. A bit north, in the town of Amherst, is the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. Kids and families enjoy visiting the towns of Historic Deerfield in Deerfield and Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield.
Several ski areas, including Berkshire East, Jiminy Peak, and Butternut, are family-friendly and a bit less overwhelming that the big ski resorts farther north. There is white water rafting on the Deerfield River near Charlemont, with guides and rentals that welcome beginner to hard-body rafters. Several places offer zip line and canopy tours. The region has a wide assortment of state parks that welcome all kinds of outdoor activities, summer and winter.
Shopping and Dining
The corner of the Berkshires region around the towns of Williamstown, Great Barrington, Sheffield, and Lenox is considered a national-caliber hot spot for fine antique shopping, driven by the collective expertise of the Berkshire County Antiques & Art Dealer Association. The Berkshires generally is a place where well-heeled visitors, creative people, and college communities come together; college towns include Williamstown, North Adams, Amherst, and Northampton. With such a dense cluster of sophisticated locals and visitors, you can be sure that interesting shopping and good dining can be found in nearly every town.
- Fitchburg Civic Days 2016 - Fitchburg, MA
- Rodin: Transforming Sculpture - Salem, MA
- Brimfield Antique Shows 2016 - Brimfield, MA
- Exhibit: Splendor, Myth, and Vision: Nudes from the Prado - Williamstown, MA
- Wacky Wednesdays Family Concerts with South Shore Conservatory - Hingham, MA
- “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” - Stockbridge, MA
- The Art of Eric Carle: Hide and Seek - Amherst, MA
- “The Taming” - Lenox, MA
- “Ugly Lies the Bone” - Lenox, MA
- Salem Celebrates The 4th! - Salem, MA
- Lowell Summer Music Series 2016 - Lowell, MA
- Free Fun Fridays at Massachusetts Museums - Many cities and towns, MA
- Fireworks 2016 - North Adams, MA
- “Showboat” - Dorchester, MA
- Sunset Sundays Music Series in Marblehead - Marblehead, MA
- “Talley’s Folly” - Dennis, MA
- Summer in the City at Boston Harbor Hotel - Boston, MA
- Berklee Summer in the City Concert Series 2016 - Boston area, MA
- Hampton Beach Seashell Stage 2016 - Hampton, MA
- Fireworks Viewing from Battleship Cove - Fall River, MA