Cape Cod has the most legendary lighthouses of them all
On Lighthouse Inn Road
The facility: The light went into service in April 1855, with a fifth-order Fresnel lens, but it was extinguished in 1914, when it was deemed unnecessary. The property was sold to the Harry K. Noyes family and used as a summer home. In 1938, State Senator Everett Stone bought the property as a home and he and his wife entertained overnight guests at the lighthouse so often they opened it to the public as the Lighthouse Inn. In the summer of 1989 the Stone family had the lighthouse re-lighted as a seasonal aid to navigation. It was officially designated West Dennis Light and it operates each summer.
Location: Entrance to Barnstable Harbor, Cape Cod
Highland Light on Cape Cod National Seashore
Highland Road North Truro, MA, 02652 Phone: 508-771-2144
Location: Cape Cod National Seashore, east side of Cape Cod
The facility: The building houses an Interpretive Room where guests can watch a 10-minute video showing the history of the lighthouse. An observation deck is located at the edge of a cliff 120 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. Gift shop in the keeper’s house. Guided tours of the lighthouse tower are offered by the Truro Historical Society daily from 10 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. This lighthouse is an active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation, owned by Cape Cod National Seashore. Built in 1797 and reconstructed in 1857, Cape Cod Highland Lighthouse is the oldest and highest lighthouse on Cape Cod. Highland House (home of the Truro Historical Museum) is a short walk from the lighthouse.
Wing's Neck Light
Location: East side of Buzzards Bay
Location: West End of Provincetown
Location: South end of South Monomoy Island
The facility: Station established in 1823; present lighthouse and keeper’s house built in 1849; deactivated in 1923. The property is now managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Race Point Light, northern tip of Cape Cod
Race Point Road Provincetown, MA, 02657 Phone: 855-722-3959
Location: Northern tip of Cape Cod
Accessibility: Visitors can reach the lighthouse by parking at Race Point Beach and walking to the lighthouse (about 45 minutes). Visitors can also use their own four-wheel drive vehicle or contact Provincetown dune tour operators.
The facility: Gift shop is open. The keeper's house is available for overnight stays from spring through fall. Oversand transportation to Race Point is offered to the public on Mariner’s Day from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the entire Light Station is open to tours. (Last ride to the lighthouse is at 2 p.m.)
Location: Cleveland Ledge Channel, Buzzards Bay
Location: Ocean View Drive
Directions: Take Route 6 to Bracket Road; turn right onto Bracket Road. Follow to end and turn left onto Nauset Road. Take first right onto Cable Road. At end of Cable Road, turn left onto Ocean View Drive.
The facility: The current beacon at Eastham was originally built in 1887 as one of the twin lights at Chatham. In 1923, it was moved from Chatham to replace the last of the Three Sisters Lighthouses. Erosion threatened the survival of the lighthouse, and in 1993 the Coast Guard proposed decommissioning it. The Nauset Light Preservation Society financed a project to move the lighthouse further inland. By 1996, the light was moved away to its present location. It is located in the Cape Cod National Seashore and managed by the preservation society.
Tarpaulin Cove Light
Location: Naushon Island (Elizabeth Islands)
Location: Cape Cod Bay / Provincetown Harbor
Location: Off Nauset Road
The facility:The original lighthouse at Nauset was built in 1837, and was constructed as three brick towers to distinguish it from the single light at Highland and the twin lights at Chatham.
Location: Entrance to Hyannis Harbor
The facility: Station established and present tower built in 1816; discontinued in 1858
Location: Stage Harbor, Harding's Beach, Nantucket Sound
The facility: Station established and keeper’s house and tower were built in 1880; deactivated in 1933. Keeper’s house still stands.
Location: Church Street
Information: E-mail Abtda@aol.com.
The facility: Tours offered from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Admission is free. Attendance is heavy and it is not uncommon to wait an hour or more to tour the lighthouse. Early arrival is recommended. Station established in 1829; present tower built in 1876. Light flashes white every six seconds; fog signal is two blasts every 30 seconds. The keeper's house is home for the commander of Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England.
Location: Hyannis Harbor
The facility: Station established: 1849; Present tower built: 1849; Deactivated: 1929
Shore Road Chatham, MA, 02633 Phone: 508-430-0628
Location: Chatham Harbor, southeast corner of Cape
The facility: This lighthouse is a U.S. Coast Guard station and an aid to navigation. The lighthouse and keeper’s house were built in 1808. In November 1870 a nor’easter smashed the barrier beach and started a pattern of erosion that would later undermine 228 feet of land in front of the lighthouse. In 1877 two new lighthouses and a keeper’s house were built west of the road. Within the next four years, the earlier lighthouses toppled into the sea. In 1923, the north tower was moved to Nauset in Eastham. During a nor'easter in October 1991 part of the overlook and parking lot washed away, but the overlook has been restored.